Monday, December 31, 2012
2012 Year in Review
2012 Year in Review
Yes this is an opinion piece so please, if I have forgotten anything please comment or shoot me an email.
Highlights in no particular order
1. 3 Feet Passing Law – From the Bike Fort Wayne Plan - The attention to local and state regulations and laws pertaining to bicycles represents another aspect of the policy orientation of the plan. Changes in laws and policies that define and promote safe use of roadways will reinforce the project and program components of this plan. For example, a state law that requires motorists to give cyclists at least three feet of space when passing, raises awareness of a safe practice and, since it is enforceable, can quickly facilitate a desirable shift in motorist behavior.
I have to tell you that this is by far the highlight of the year. Thanks to the Planning and Policy Office for pushing this forward and for the City Council to see the value of safety for Fort Wayne Cyclists. Next up on the Legislative Agenda, according to the Bike Fort Wayne Plan, Complete Streets. Let’s do it!
2. Fort Wayne named Bronze Level Bicycle Community by the League of American Bicyclists. It is totally sweet that the efforts over that last few years have been recognized!
3. The Towpath Trail Completed and Dedicated – All of those wishing to get near downtown from the Aboite area can now do so. I haven’t been on this section as of yet but I hear it is awesome. Read about it HERE
4. The Fort 4 Fitness Spring Cycle Criterium and Bike Tour – I did not participate in the tour but I heard that it was a nice route and fairly well attended. I actually spent all day at the Criterium and it was so cool that I will be there again next year!
5. Return of Courteous Mass – Last year a couple Lawyer friends of mine scared the crap out of me about liability regarding the marginally popular Courteous Mass Ride so we quit it. That changed this fall with the return of the ride thanks to 3 Rivers Velo Sports sponsorship and most importantly, insurance. Every 2nd Friday at Lawton Park. Leaves at 6:30PM.
Not Necessarily Highlights
1. The Fort 4 Fitness Bike the Fort – I volunteered and worked at a stop station for this. I feel as though in order to increase participation in this event it needs to be free! Cyclovia. Close the streets and let everyone ride everywhere with not a car in sight. We can make this happen! I was surprised that anyone participated in this at all. Why does it always have to be about money? They actually charged people to go ride their bikes on City streets and quite a few people paid. Obviously I am not the target market.
2. The Lack of Implementation of Bike Fort Wayne Plan – The Bike Fort Wayne Plan was approved over 2 years ago and it called for bike infrastructure to be built all over town including on Calhoun and Fairfield and Ewing among many others. It has not materialized at all! We, the cyclists, are the losers here. I have said it before and now I will say it again. Trails (which I love!) cost hundreds of thousands of dollars per mile to get built. Bike lanes/Bike Routes are a fraction of that cost per mile yet we seem to be hung up. Why? I don’t get it.
Hope to see you all at the Chilly Challenge tomorrow.