Tuesday, April 7, 2009

From the New York Times

The Wild Bunch

Todd Heisler/The New York Times

A cyclist speeds through the crosswalk at 34th Street and Broadway.

Published: March 6, 2009

SOMETIMES, when I am biking, I remember the ’80s, and I shudder. I remember, in other words, when biking was an extreme sport, when, if you were a biker, you had a lot of locks and a lot more nerve

The City

A cyclist, top, riding between lanes on Avenue of the Americas near 20th Street; a typical scene on the Brooklyn Bridge, center, pitting cyclists and pedestrians; and a cyclist navigating amid pedestrians, bottom, on Broadway near 35th Street.

Just the other day, when I was enjoying the bike lane down Clinton Street in my neighborhood, Cobble Hill, Brooklyn, I stopped at a red light. And after the crossing guard smiled and chatted with me, after the cars pulled up alongside me and did not honk, I experienced a flashback from 1987: my regular trip from West 113th Street to Central Park, navigating honks and taunts, the mayhem that was then on Cathedral Parkway.

Read More


No comments: